Omsk is one of the oldest Russian towns. Omsk is situated on the banks of the Irtysh and Om rivers. The Siberian сity Omsk will celebrate its 300th Anniversary in 2016. A former small merchant town has turned for the years of Soviet power into a large industrial, scientific and cultural center of West Siberia. The city today numbers about 1200000 inhabitants.
At the beginning of the 18 century a group of Russian soldiers and Cossacks under the guidance of an officer Bukhgolts founded a fortress on the left bank of the Om river. The fortress was later renamed a town of Omsk. So Omsk was founded in 1716. At the end of 19th century the Great Trans-Siberian Railway passed through Omsk. Before the revolution Omsk was just like any other Siberian town – wooden houses, unpaved, dirty, crooked streets, no parks and gardens. Omsk was a place of exile. Decembrists and revolutionaries were exiled by the tsarist government to Omsk. A great Russian writer Dostoevsky spent 4 years in the Omsk fortress.
The city of labour produces goods in sum of more than 6 billion roubles a year. Some items are being supplied to more than 60 countries all over the world. The pride of our city is the first Oil Refinery, a giant of Siberian petrochemistry, which was put into operation in 1965. Besides the chemical enterprises of our city include Synthetic Rubber plant, the Tyre – Making plant, the Smoke – Black plant and others. Engineering, instrument making, light and building industries are developed in Omsk.
Omsk is with good reason considered a city of students, of the youth. Every the fourth of the city’s residents is studying. There are all kinds of educational institutions in Omsk. We have 14 universities, many technical schools, libraries. The A.S. Pushkin Library is the biggest of them.
The city’s history of welfare standards and culture has a particular effect on its characteristics and spirit. The lives and fates of such eminent people of the country as F. Dostoevsky and M. Vrubel, V. Kuibyshev and D. Karbyshev, P. Dravert and V. Shebalin, L. Martynov, S. Zaligin and other prominent figures in science and art are closely connected with Omsk.
There are a lot of varieties for leisure – theatres, museums, concert halls, exhibitions, gymnasiums, sports grounds, Palaces of Culture, discotheques and swimming pools – for townsfolk. For the believers there are cathedrals, prayers houses of various in the city. The best known theatres in Omsk are the Drama Theatre, the Musical Theatre, the Children’s Theatre and the Puppet Theatre. A fine Concert Hall, an Organ Hall, a Circus, the Sports and Concert Palace are at our disposal. The Omsk Folk Choir and the Omsk Symphony Orchestra are famous in the world. The Fine Arts Museum and other museums possess wide collections of exhibits and paintings. They are worth visiting. There is the Memorial Square with the Eternal Flame in the centre of the city, a lot of monuments, fine green parks and gardens with many beautiful flowers and different kinds of entertainments.
But at the same time Omsk is the city with its own unsolved problems. We live in the period of great changes. We strive to revalue many respects and start life afresh. Our energies are directed to creating required productive, living and spiritual conditions for the Omsk residents.
Give English equivalents to the Russian words and word combinations.
revalue, bank, entertainment, cathedral, prayers house, celebrate, inhabitant, small merchant town, left bank, pass through, unpaved, crooked, dirty, exile, pride, consider, a city of students, welfare standards and culture
Make up sentences.
1. The city, to number, 1200000, inhabitants, today.
2. So, 1716, in, Omsk, to found.
3. Oil Refinery, Siberian, petrochemistry, to be, a giant, of.
4. They, to be, visiting, worth.
5. To live, we, in, of, the period, changes, great.
6. Library, Pushkin, to be, big, the, of, them.
Answer the following questions.
1. What is Omsk?
2. How old is Omsk?
3. What is the population of Omsk?
4. How was it founded?
5. What are the main branches of industry in Omsk?
6. Why do we consider Omsk a city of students?
7. What theatres do you know in Omsk?
8. What places of interest are there in Omsk?
9. What problems must the inhabitants of Omsk solve?
Make up a plan of the text.
Give a short story about Omsk.
Speak about the history of Omsk using the following words
and word combinations. To be situated, merchant town, to turn for, center, a group, soldiers and Cossacks, guidance, Bukhgolts, to found, fortress, to be renamed, Great Trans-Siberian Railway, to pass through, to be like, wooden, unpaved, dusty, crooked, exile, Dostoevsky.
Тext II Omsk in a nutshell
Founded in 1716
Is said to be the capital of South-Western Siberia
Situated in the southern part of the West-Sibеrian plain
Climate is continental
Population is 1,5 mil people
Distance from Moscow - 2555 km.
Local time GMT + 6
Phone code: 3812
Big railway traffic centre
Omsk is said to be the capital of South-Western Siberia.
The territory of Omsk region is 139,7 thousand square kilometres and is divided into 32 administrative districts.
Population is 1,5 million people. It is a multinational city. It is inhabited by Russians, Germans, Ukrainians, Tatars, Kazakhs, Belorussians, Bashkeers, Jewry and other nations, altogether – about 80 nationalities.
Omsk region is situated in the southern part of the West-Siberian plain. On the West and North the region borders with Tyumen region, on the East – with Tomsk and Novosibirsk regions, on the South and South-Western direction – with Kazakhstan.
History of Omsk Region
Omsk was founded in 1716 as a fortress at the junction point of channels of the Irtysh and the Om rivers by Colonel Ivan Bukhgolts, this historic fact initiated developing one of the oldest cities in Siberia.
At the second part of the 18th century the fortress became the largest fortification at the East of the country. Construction of Trans - Siberian railway boosted the development of the city. Railway connected Omsk with European part of Russia.
There are 83 public libraries with book fund exceeding 7 million
pieces, 9 museums, containing over 220 000 collection items, theatres
of Omsk are also well known in Russia as well as abroad.
Athletes from Omsk have been taking part in national and international competitions, Olympics. Wrestler Alexander Pushnitza, swimmer Roman Sludnov and gymnast Irina Chashina are world known.
Omsk Hockey Team Avangard is the champion of the Russian Hockey Superleague in 2004, 2 times took the second place – in 1998 and 2006, and is proud to be the European Hockey Champion in 2005.
There are 10 000 physicians and 17000 nurses in Omsk as well as 60 hospitals and 158 dispensaries. Omsk Medical Academy trains highly skilled doctors of different specialties and is in charge of raising the level of G.Ps skills.
The distinguishing feature of our people, in this case our physicians, is that they are perfectly glad to share their knowledge and experience with students.
We have very friendly and warm relationships with leading hospitals, thus, they are constantly waiting for our students. We hope everybody can appreciate the atmosphere, which prevails in our hospitals.
There are 30 special medical centres in Omsk, such as: endocrinological, pulmonological, perinatal, microsurgery, surgery of
lever, gastroenterology, and diagnostic centre, the largest one in Siberia.
How to get
The flight time from Moscow is 3 hours. There are 3 flights every day: 2 in the early morning and one at night.
Теxt III Everyone who has once visited Omsk notices its openness, breadth and peculiarity. The city on the banks of the Irtysh and Om rivers is beautiful and sweeping in a Siberian manner. A beautiful site was chosen for the new fortress by the guardsman of Peter the Great I. Bukhgolts, when in spring of 1716 he and his detachment made a landing on the shore of the free Irtysh, in the place where this powerful Siberian river takes the quiet Om into its broad riverbed. According to the edict of the tsar Peter the Great and his deputy in Siberia prince Gagarin, pioneers erected here the fortification to guard the south Russian borders. Thus was founded the town, which in our days became the largest industrial and cultural centre of Siberia. No trace was left of wooden fortress - primogenitor of the town. But the ancient stone houses and the entrance fortress gates on the right bank of the river Om, where it flows into the Irtysh, still keep the voices of the remote past. Right here in the 1760s, when the wooden buildings of the first Omsk fortress became dilapidated, a new fortification was founded, this time built of stone.
In 1782 the fortress settlement was given the name of a town. Among inhabitants of this town were merchants, artisans, officials, but most people were the military. In 1812 battalions of the 24th Siberian division went to fight with Napoleon. Many of them died the death of brave on the Borodino field. The Shirvansky musketeer regiment units guarding the borders of Omsk fortress also distinguished themselves in the fights with Frenchmen. Later the heroes and participants of that war served in Omsk. At different times the post of West Siberian Governor-general was held by P. Kaptsevich and G. Husford. During that time the town grew considerably, was decorated with gardens and sturdy stone buildings. In the 1820s Omsk was lined with buildings by the project of the famous Russian engineer V. Geste. Since that time the central architectural ensemble of the town began to take shape. One of the Omsk central buildings became the palace of Governor-general. In celebration days the tricolor flag appeared on the tower. From this tower the young town was viewed by many guests - well-known scientists, diplomats and travellers. They could see new squares, wooden houses with mezzanines and galleries, the broad Irtysh, ships, fresh green Lyuba's Grove and the fortress with mighty belfry of Voskresensky Cathedral. The military significance of Omsk determined the fates of many Russians. We are not sure if the famous horses of talented sculptor Peter Klodt could appear on the Anitchkov Bridge in Petersburg without his Omsk experiences. Because here in Omsk a gifted boy fell for horses - these proud and beautiful animals. The fame found him in the Northern capital but here in Omsk, far away from European artistic world, for the first time baron Klodt felt the desire to learn curving, modelling and studying horses. Among that lot a huge to him Cossack Nikolsky Cathedral in the garden of which the artist could have walked. "Its severe slim appearance" is very alike to its architectural brothers in Petersburg. And it's quite explicable because the Cathedral was built by the famous architect V. Stasov's drawings, who built a lot in the city on the banks of Neva. In 1894 when the railroad came to Omsk it was called the Gates of Siberia. The Great Siberian Track made the economic contacts of business men more active and easier, by connecting Omsk with Moscow, Petersburg and Far East. The representatives of famous Russian and foreign firms came to the far Siberian town. Due to this Omsk started intensive construction of imposing buildings: banks, shops, apartments and offices. In our days the work of organizations responsible for the keeping of Omsk antique memorials became animated, there appeared enthusiasts-students of local lore, whose opinion is considered by the community. The city's department of architecture lead by A. Karimov has provided the restricted areas where the erection of new buildings is strictly regulated. One of such areas are the Cossack suburb. Each house here has its unique history. On Pochtovaya street remained some ancient houses, among them No, 27 - the Khiebnikovs house where Omsk artists are working now. Durable house with a verandah facing the garden, with carved laurel branches on the front door and frieze reflected the taste of his owner the famous public figure, lawyer Arseny Khiebnikov. At the beginning of the 20-s this house was visited by the talented youth, among them was young Vissarion Shebalin, who performed many of his works in this house on Pochtovaya for the first time. In the 50-s - 60-s in the North - West of Omsk due to the construction of the first Siberian oil refinery grew the town of oil industry workers. This town appeared on the spot which since the 18th century occupied "the quiet little village of Zakhlamino, surrounded by the windmills" as wrote I. Belov in his "Travel Notes and Impressions of Western Siberia" in the 1850s. A new city was created designed, by the indivisible architect-artistic project (the Vesniny Brothers architectural-planning workshop). The idea of the city-garden presented for the first time in 1919 by the engineer D. Werner was incarnated at the end of the 50-s, when the city was all in green and the lawns of parks and public gardens were filled with exotic flora. Many interesting buildings appeared in Omsk during last decades. Among the buildings which enriched the city's panorama we can enumerate the Trade Center, the builders of which were awarded the State prize in 1968, the Pushkin Scientific Library (architects Y. Zakharov, G. Narizyna, T. Moraz, I. Lubchich) on the Krasny Put street. Omsk architects are trying to form the complete ensembles, they attach great importance to the moulding of building's silhouette, use widely the natural factors in their creative plans. And at the same time they don't forget the antiquity and understand the necessity of its preservation. The city cherishes its past. The architects and antiquity lovers restored the Serafimo-Alexeevskaya Chapel which even now is surrounded by numerous legends. One of them tells that the Chapel was built in 1908 to memorize the birth of the Tsesarevitch Alexey. Another tells that it was built to memorize the soldiers killed in Russian war with Japan. The chapel was torn down in the 1920-s and was rebuilt brick by brick by the project and super-vision of artist V. Desyatov. You can meet the history of Omsk not only on the streets of the city. It lives in the museums, in the inspirational works of Omsk artists, actors and history scientists. Omsk museum of local lore, history and economy is the oldest in Siberia. It was founded in 1878 by the famous Siberian scientists, explorers and public figures: M. Pevtsov, G. Potanin, N. Yadrintsev, I. SIovtsov.
The city has great scientific potential. The names of academician the Honorary citizen of Omsk V. Bisyarina, academician N. Milachshenko, corresponding member of Medical Academy L. Poluektov, Honorable Science and Technics Workers K. Artemiev, T. AIexeyeva, D. Krinitsin, V. Mezentsev, K. Tolmachev, social anthropologist I. Tomilov are well known in Russia and abroad. Omsk is theatrical city. It has 5 state and 3 municipal theatres for 1200 thousand city dwellers. It's hard to buy tickets for many plays and today in the developing market relations when many theatres in different cities close, here in Omsk in the beginning of the nineties there opened 4 more theatres.
Теxt IV In our days the work of organizations responsible for the keeping of Omsk antique memorials became animated, there appeared enthusiasts-students of local lore, whose opinion is considered by the community. The city's department of architecture lead by A. Karimov has provided the restricted areas where the erection of new buildings is strictly regulated.
One of such areas are the Cossack suburb. Each house here has its unique history. On Pochtovaya street remained some ancient houses, among them No, 27 — the Khiebnikovs house where Omsk artists are working now. Durable house with a verandah facing the garden, with carved laurel branches on the front door and frieze reflected the taste of his owner — the famous public figure, lawyer Arseny Khiebnikov. At the beginning of the 20-s this house was visited by the talented youth, among them was young Vissarion Shebalin, who performed many of his works in this house on Pochtovaya for the first time.
Next is another famous building, No. 30 on Krasnykh Zor street, former Nikolsky avenue. Here lived our famous fellow-townsman prominent contemporary poet Leonid Martynov. We can entitle the book of his memoirs "The Aerial Frigates" the Omsk encyclopaedia of the first half of the 20th century. His love to the town was active, his interest to its history and its present was real. "This town standing on the border of Kazakhstan and Siberia, town where January frosts resemble Arctic and June heat resembles Middle Asia. This town above quiet Om has grown during last 20 years" — wrote Martynov in his book "the Fortress on Om".
Forever will remain in the history of WW II the names of its heroes. The name of Dmitry Karbyshev, our fellow-countryman, Omsk Military School graduate, man of great strength became a legend. 134 Omsk citizens were awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union.
During this time the city 2,5 thousand kilometers away from Moscow was hosting the evacuees from Leningrad and other front-line towns and cities. Sharing bread and shelter with them. Omsk received industrial enterprises from the Ukraine, turned its cultural places into hospitals. 37 hospitals were opened and each third Omsk dweller became a blood-donor during the war.
There almost was no civil construction during the war. On the vacant lots were urgently erected shops of military plants. In those days started their activities the Baranov Motor works, the Oktyabrskaya Revolution Tank plant, Omsk Tyre plant and many others, turning Omsk into large industrial center of Siberia. The builders lived in barracks which disappeared totally only in the 70s.
In the 50-s - 60-s in the North - West of Omsk due to the construction of the first Siberian Oil Refinery grew the town of oil industry workers. This town appeared on the spot which since the 18th century occupied "the quiet little village of Zakhlamino, surrounded by the windmills" as wrote I. Belov in his "Travel Notes and Impressions of Western Siberia" in the 1850s. A new city was created designed, by the indivisible architect-artistic project (the Vesniny Brothers architectural-planning workshop).
The idea of the city-garden presented for the first time in 1919 by the engineer D. Werner was incarnated at the end of the 50-s, when the city was all in green and the lawns of parks and public gardens were filled with exotic flora. Many interesting buildings appeared in Omsk during last decades. Among the buildings which enriched the city's panorama we can enumerate the Trade Center, the builders of which were awarded the State prize in 1968, the Pushkin Scientific Library (architects Y. Zakharov, G. Narizyna, T. Moraz, I. Lubchich) on the Krasny Put street. Omsk architects are trying to form the complete ensembles, they attach great importance to the moulding of building's silhouette, use widely the natural factors in their creative plans. And at the same time they don't forget the antiquity and understand the necessity of its preservation.
The city cherishes its past. The architects and antiquity lovers restored the Serafimo-Alexeevskaya Chapel which even now is surrounded by numerous legends. One of them tells that the Chapel was built in 1908 to memorize the birth of the Tsesarevitch Alexey. Another tells that it was built to memorize the soldiers killed in Russian war with Japan. The chapel was torn down in the 1920-s and was rebuilt brick by brick by the project and supervision of artist V. Desyatov.
You can meet the history of Omsk not only on the streets of the city. It lives in the museums, in the inspirational works of Omsk artists, actors and history scientists.
Omsk museum of local lore, history and economy is the oldest in Siberia. It was founded in 1878 by the famous Siberian scientists, explorers and public figures: M. Pevtsov, G. Potanin, N. Yadrintsev, I. SIovtsov.
In 1923 the museum was granted with the best building of the city, the former palace of governor-general, and in the middle of eighties the museum moved to a new building, built by the special project in Lenin street. The museum depositories are filled with more than 250.000 unique items telling about the history of the land, about its nature, its culture.
Each visit to the museum is a joy of knowing your past, modern life of your native city, a joy of meeting professionals, a joy of joining to the tense spiritual activity of enthusiasts.
In 1924 the Vrubel Museum of Fine Arts was established as the art department of the museum of local lore, history and economy. Its collection includes paintings, drawings, sculptures and works of arts and crafts. The pride of the museum collection make canvases by Russian artists I. Repin, V. Serov, I. Shishkin, V. Surikov, I. Levitan. Spectators are always attracted by the Russian avant-garde collection: N. Goncharova, M. Larionov, V. Kandinsky, A. Yavlensky, members of "Jack of Diamonds". Omsk museum is the only museum in Siberia which owns works by great painter M. Vrubel — who was born in Omsk.
The former general-governor palace is very beautiful but too small for the huge museum collection and that's why the new building — the former trade house built in 1914 by the architect A. Kryachkov and restored by the Omsk specialists — was granted for that collection. Recently museum moved to that new building. There is enough space now to exhibit icons, Siberian tumuli gold, Faberge jewelry, glass and ceramics items which for many long years were kept in its depositaries.
Five years ago in Omsk appeared the memorial museum of the Peoples Artist of Russia Kondraty Belov. It is placed in the old wooden house and is the bright example of the city's care for its talented sons — for carpenters who built this house, for its former owner F. Stumpf. This house became the memorial of wooden architecture. It's filled with warm atmosphere of cosiness. The artist's atelier is in one of the rooms on the second floor. From the pictures look faces of kinfolk and friends of Kondraty Belov. You can see here his palette, his easel with unfinished work of the master. On the rag we can see his hat, coat, walking stick... These things create the feeling of artist's presence here, next to you. In the evenings the museum turns into musical- poetical drawing-room. The Dostoevsky Literature Museum is also one of the city's memorial museums. Until recently it was the department of the Museum of Local Lore, History and Economy but now it's the independent scientific- literature center. Here you are absorbed into another world, into years when Fyodor Dostoevsky was the Omsk convict, when worked P. Dravert and Anton Sorokin, when there appeared Vsevolod Ivanov's first works, when Leonid Martynov wrote his books, when in the 60-s Leonid Ivanov astonished everyone with his knowledge of rural life, when Timofey Belozerov wrote his fine children's poems.
Omsk artists show their love to the city in their own picturesque way. We can easily recognize the brush of our popular artists K. Belov, K. Chshekotov, V. Volkov, T. Kozlov, P. Mukhin and try to understand the canvases by N. Brukhanov, N. Tretyakov, we always admire landscapes by V. Kukuytsev, A. Sapozhnikov, I. Sevokhin, R. Cherepanov, graphics by Zheliostov, A. Chermoshentsev, talented works by Kichigin and others. Though their works are different they all invite us to pay more attention to our native city, show us its beauty.
A. Lieberov is the real singer of Siberian nature. His pastels are so deep and so lyrical, you can't take you eyes off of them. Many today's artists are his apprentices. Alexey Lieberov organized the artistic-graphic faculty of the Pedagogical University, opened the Lieberov centre.
Omsk dwellers and guests of Omsk are invited by exhibition halls of the Omsk Artists' Union, here you can also buy the pictures you like. More than 100 artists are members of the Union. But not all of them are able to find their own spectators. According to this in 1991 by the City Administration was opened the municipal museum "Art of Omsk".
The idea of Russia artistic culture development through all possible assistance of provincial artistic life, its special artistic aura was taken as a principle. The author of this idea art critic V. Tchirkov has been studying the artistic "local spirit" for many years and showed the unique city feature consisting of the powerful level of young artists that didn't have until recently the output to a wide audience of spectators.
Best works by S. AIexandrov, M. Gerasimov, S. Tyrkov, A. Titov, N. Molodtsov, G. Dashkova, T. Koltyukhina, applied artist V. Novokshonov and others were collected. (Over 2000 exhibits in total.)
The city has great scientific potential. The names of academician the Honorary citizen of Omsk V. Bisyarina, academician N. Milachshenko, corresponding member of Medical Academy L. Poluektov, Honorable Science and Technics Workers K. Artemiev, T. AIexeeva, D. Krinitsin, V. Mezentsev, K. Tolmachev, social anthropologist I. Tomilov are well known in Russia and abroad.
Omsk is theatrical city. It has 5 state and 3 municipal theatres for 1200 thousand city dwellers. It's hard to buy tickets for many plays and today in the developing market relations when many theatres in different cities close, here in Omsk in the beginning of the nineties there opened 4 more theatres.
Theatricality of the city was formed by many generations of enthusiasts. We can find its sources in the fair show-booths and in the private theatre which appeared in the Omsk fortress by the order of the Siberian Corps commander lieutenant-general I. Springer in 1764 "to polish young people". In winter 1764 - 65 there were staged first plays and in the middle of the 19th century amateur plays were staged in Siberian Military School, there also were performances in Omsk jail. Historians say that F. Dostoyevsky took part in staging the play "Violet and Miroshka".
Today the leading city theatre — the Academic Drama Theatre occupies the premises built in 1904-1905 with the money gathered from the city dwellers. The building was reconstructed many times and is an architectural monument now.
During different years Omsk Drama gave to Russia Vladimir Torsky, Vazlav Dvorzhetsky, Vladimir Rautbart, Spartak Mishurin, Mikhail Ulyanov. In recent years on its stage were shone the talents of People's artists Aleksey Teplov, Sergey Filippov, Nozhery Tchonishvily, Alexander Shchegolev, Boris Kashihn. The theatre's "hours of triumph" was the time when its artistic leaders were Yakov Kirzhner, Arthur Khaikin, and later Gennady Trostenetsky. Exactly at that time the theatre discovered new authors, new plays, twice became the State prize winner, was awarded the title of academic and Order of the Red Banner of Labour.
It's difficult to buy tickets to Omsk Drama. Not long ago the theatre opened a chamber stage, named after the People's artist of Russia, State prizes winner Tatyana Ozhigova.
Since the middle of the eighties, when borders have been opened theatre actively invites foreign producers and often tours abroad. The theatre was invited to the World Theatre Festival, performed in Geneva, Warsaw and Poznan, in Remscheid, got into close creative contacts with the Milwaukee (USA) repertoire theatre. There are international conferences and symposia at the theatre. But the main thing is that the theatre is beloved by Omsk dwellers.
The former Operetta Theatre received the status of Musical Theatre at the end of 1981 together with a new building erected in the center of the city by the project of Moscow architectural workshop.
The modern outward appearance, spacious foyers with pictures by the leading city painters, large but cozy auditorium, stage equipped with up-to-date sound and light devices create the special theatrical atmosphere.
But the essence is not in the building, it's in the best creative traditions, in the cast. There are about fifty soloists- vocalists in the cast and a perfect orchestra at the theatre, conducted by the chief conductor, Honoured Art Worker of Russia, Udmurtia State prize winner E. Rozen. The ballet troupe created by the cares and endeavors of the Honoured Art Worker of Russia, honorary citizen of Omsk V. Tulupova was filled to great extent by young graduates of specialized schools. The ballet is now lead by the experienced master S. Kolesnik. The theatre's chorus is multitudinous and harmonious thanks to creative cares of the chief choirmaster T. Bobrova.
Having stable creative group, the theatre collected extensive repertoire of different genres. It includes the classic opera plays, ballets, operettas.
It's hard to find among the inhabitants of Omsk the person to whom the Theatre of Children and Youth is not familiar. Not so long ago it was called the Theatre of Young Spectators and its removal to the new building was a big event in the cultural life of youth.
During last 10 years this theatre is headed by the artistic leader V. Rubanov, who was awarded the title of Honoured Art Worker of Russia Federation recently. He has formed the troupe of really creative persons sharing the same views. Among them are Honoured Artist of Russia V. Kiseleva, Honoured Culture Worker I. Abramov, leading actors S. OIenberg, A. Goncharuk and many others.
It's always animated and merrily at the Theatre of puppet, actor and mask "Harlequin". It's the theatre for the smallest children, and they unlike adults don't suppress their emotions and respond to everything happening on stage very spontaneous. Because there are fairy-tale's heroes from "Teremok", "Little Red Riding Hood", "One Inch Maid", "Three Little Pigs", who play, live, struggle with evil and children want to help them very much.
"Harlequin's" plays are known to both children and adults. Some time ago the theatre staged for them "Mess-Mend", and together with the musical theatre presented them with opera buffo "The Blue Beard".
The theatre owes its indubitable success to the leading actors- puppeteers, Honoured Artists of Russia Emira and Edward Urakovs, actors Valery and Nina Isaevs, G. VIasov, N. Kuznetsova, chief producer B. Salmachev, production designer O. Verevkina.
Four years ago enthusiasts who couldn't imagine their lives without a theatre, headed by S. Rudzinsky — young and with no doubt talented producer, staged their first performance although they didn't have neither permanent place of their own, nor necessary means. But their enthusiasm and professional skills were highly estimated by the community and spectators and the troupe became the federal Fifth Theatre.
The municipal theatre of drama and comedy the Gallery is young and talented. It was born due to the love to the theatre of a group of actors, unquestionable organizing talent of its artistic leader V.Vitko and cares of the City Administration. The theatre's orientation to the staging of home plays creates the definite image, forms the spectators' interest. The Gallery is always full and critics confirm that "...it smells like Russian spirit". Based on N. Leskov's work the musical play "Left-hander" was on for some seasons. Very popular is fair-show based on the D. Averkin's play "Frol Skobeev", filled with joy and popular humor; psychologically deep stage research by F. Dostoevsky "Village Stepantchikovo". The play "Uncle Vanya" is full of mild Chekhov lyricism.
Its fifth anniversary season the theatre celebrated with the plays by Sukhovo-Kobylin "the Marriage of Kretchinsky" and "the Marriage of Belugin" by A. Ostrovsky.
The name of Lyubov losifovna Yermolaeva is well known to Omsk theatre-lovers. Over 30 years she was in charge of people's theatres of Agricultural University and the Maluntsev palace of culture. Studiousness, ability to get people "infected" with theatre, amazing responsiveness to the creative search — all that helped former amateurs to become professional actors, poets, pressmen and simply people enamoured of theatre.
Only its first anniversary has celebrated in the 280th anniversary of the city the experimental Lyceum Theatre. It's unique. It's headed by the Honored Artist of Russia V. Reshetnikov. All directors- pedagogues are highly professional persons and the actors are the school children and pupils of Lyceums, learning theatrical secrets. They are taught the basis of stage movements, speech, history and theory of theatre. During last year they staged 4 new productions — one for each age group. They were shown at best city stages and each meeting with spectators was a success.
The city is distinguished by its musicality. The city musical environment is formed by children art schools, the Shebalin Musical College, the Omsk State Philharmonic Society with its wonderful symphony orchestra and the State Russian Peoples Chorus, created in the fifties by E. V. Kalugina — connoisseur and collector of folk song.
The musical enquiries of citizens were fully satisfied when in the beginning of nineties new city troupes were created. Among those were municipal brass band, Russian chamber orchestra "Lad", Russian folk dance ensemble "Irtysh" and the very young "Credo".
The special social-cultural milieu in the city is created by holidays. Most of them were born in Omsk and became traditional. The most bright and light feeling of life give the children's festival- concerts "The Glass Shoe", the annual city holiday "All Colors of the Rainbow".
And how wonderful are winter holidays with the bright sun and strong Siberian frost! They include the New Year holiday with obligatory merry ice sledges and fortresses, with troika rides and Siberian fun competitions, Shroventide with its fairs, skomorokhs and traditional pancakes.
The City Day is of a special interest. It's held in the beginning of August. All city parks of culture and rest with their carnival and concert programs take part in this holiday. And finally the general fireworks prepared by special scenario finish the holiday.
The Soul of Russia that's the name of a holiday born in 1992 on the City Administration's initiative. It's the holiday of Russian original national culture revival. This holiday includes creative meetings, scientific conferences on problems of revival and development of national cultures, festive gatherings in the streets and many concerts held by professionals and amateurs. The holiday of folklore song and dance which became international now is the organic part of it.