Simple / Continuous. Choose either the Present Simple or the Present Continuous in the following sentences.
A) Present Simple B) Present Continuous
1. He's in the bath room. I ____ (to think) he ____ (I wash) his hair.
2. Can I speak to your parents, please?
I'm sorry. They____ (to have) lunch at the moment.
3. I usually ____ (to cook) meals, and my brother ___ (to wash) the dishes.
4. Mr. Anderson ____ (to be) an English tourist who ____ (to travel) to Eastern Europe tomorrow. Just now he ____ (to have) breakfast at home. After breakfast he ____ (to go) to do a lot of things.
5.She's a school teacher. She ____ (to teach) maths.
6. I _____ (to wear) glasses only for reading and watching TV.
7. On Sundays they ____ (to have) dinner at a restaurant.
8. Oh, I ____ (to go) to work as a nurse in Africa, in Kenya, and I____ (to look) forward to it because it's such an exotic country for me.
9. Some pupils are outside. They ____ (to try) to get in.
10. The weather____ (to be) terrible today.
11. You can't miss him. He ____ (to wear) a white jacket, and he ____ (to carry) a striped umbrella.
12. We ____ (to wear) woollen clothes in winter.
13. We ____ (to organize) a holiday walking tour in the North of Scotland. We____(to go) to cover 150 miles of mountainous country in ten days. It ____ (to go) to be a hard work. We ____ (to go) to be wet, cold and tired a lot of the time. But it ____ (to go) to be fun!
14. It ____ (to rain) again.
Simple / Continuous. Choose either the Present Simple or Present Continuous in the following sentences.
A) Present Simple B) Present Continuous
1.The coffee ____ (to taste) delicious.
2. We ____ (to look for) someone who ____ (to want)to make money.
3.John ____ (to play) in the school team this season.
4.____ you ____ (to see) that nice butterfly near the stream?
5. If you ____ (not to listen ) to the radio, please ____ ( to switch) it off.
6. I____ (to hear) someone speaking in the next room.
7. We ____ (to see off) our grandparents this morning.
8. Don't disturb him. He ____ (to water) flowers in the garden.
9.The cook ____ (to taste) the soup to see if it is right.
10. I (to like) this cake, I( to taste) almond in it.
11. I(not to want) to go anywhere. I (to have) a headache. I
( to feel) tired.
12.It __ (to get) dark. Let's go home.
13. Jane (to have) got cold. I (not to think)she'll come to the party.
14. I ____ (to have) my hair cut on Tuesday.
15. The sea ____ (to grow) calmer. We can go to the beach in the afternoon.
16. You ____ (always to make) mistakes in your tests. You should be more attentive.
17. What ____ they ____ (to laugh) at? They ____
(to seem) to be very happy.
18.I ____ (to see ) my employer on Wednesday morning.
19. Who ____ this suitcase ____ (to belong) to?
20. The world ____ (to change) rapidly in such fields as business, art and medicine.
Future Simple. Fill in the blanks.
A) will B) won't C) shall
1. How old ____ you be next birthday?
2. Our teacher is ill so she ____ be at school next week.
3. We haven't got any money so we ____ go on holiday this year.
4. ____ you be at home tomorrow?
5. It's already 5 o'clock. I'm afraid they catch their train.
6. ____ I send the letter immediately?
7. Who ____ meet you at the station?
8. Your English is good. I'm sure you pass the test.
9. What time ____ I come this evening?
10. If you don't work hard, you ____ pass your test.
11.I ____ get the book for you. This ____ take long.
12. The train arrive at the station on time,it?
13. Do sit down,you?
14. WhereI go to buy all these things?
15. Therebe any trouble,____ there?
Will / be going to. Choose either the Future Simple or begoing to in the following sentences.
A) will B) be going to
It probably ____ (not to rain) tomorrow.
2. ____ you ____ (to come) to my house, please?
3. Why have you got the flowers?
Because I ____ (to visit) my teacher.
4.The sky is very dark. It ____ (to rain).
5. Come to the party.
- OK. I ____ (to bring) my friend.
6. I ____ (to walk) the dog.
Wait a minute, and I ____ (to come) with you.
7. I probably never(to learn) this poem.
8. I(to stop) smoking - I really will.
9. Have you decided what to buy Alex for his birthday?
Yes, I ____ (to buy) a computer game.
10. I love sewing. I ____ (to be) a fashion designer.
11. How about going for a picnic at the weekend?
That's a good idea. I ____ (to make) a cake.
12.What fashion( to be) like in the year 2000?
I’m sure people (not to wear) long dresses and suits. Clothes ___ ( to be)
comfortable and simple.
13. How long ____ it ____ (to take) you to do the work?
14. John, ____ you ____ (to do) me a favour?
15. Look at that tree. It ____ (to fall) down.
Future actions. Put the verbs in brackets into the Present Simple or Future Simple.
A) Future Simple B) Present Simple
1. If I ____ (to be free) tomorrow night, I ____ (to go) to the concert.
2. He says he ____ (to look in) to see us before he ____ (to leave) our town.
3. Jane ____ (to stay) at home until she ____ (to feel) better.
4. When ____ you ____ (to visit) your grandma? - Probably next year.
5. When my brother ____ (to finish) school he ____ (to go) to college.
6. I _____ (to tell) you as soon as I ____ (to know).
7. I'd like to know when Dan ____ (to be back).
8. Give my love to Laura if you ____ (to see) her.
9. I ____ (not to know) when she ____ (to take) her
10. I don't think we ____ (to finish) our work in time
unless you ____ (to help) us.
11.I ____ (to give ) you my bike for tomorrow providing
you ____ (to bring) it back the day after tomorrow.
12. Mother says we____ (to have dinner) after she____ (to unpack) our things.
13. Don't get off the train until it ____ (to stop).
14. You may take this book if you ____ (not to keep) it too long.
15. Your boss ____ (to give) you the day off on condition that you ____ (to work) on Saturday morning.
16. Provided that they ____ (not to do) anything stupid, they ____ (to win) tonight's match easily.
17. Unless he( to arrive) soon, we( to have to) go without him.
18. I( to wonder) if they ( to follow) our advice.
Past Simple. Present Perfect. Present Perfect / Present Perfect Continuous
Was / were. Put in was or were.
A) was B) were
Last night I had a strange dream. I ___1___ in the world where all the colours 2 different. The grass 3 orange, the trees 4 white; in the green sky there 5 a purple sun and a moon the colour of blood. I 6 a child again, eight years old, and I 7 lost. But I 8 not frightened. In front of me there 9 a long street, stretching away as far as I could see.
There 10 no people, but all around me I heard the noise of big insects. It __11___ neither cold nor hot. I walked until I came to a church. In the church there 12 hundreds of people, all looking at me. They started to come towards me, slowly at first, then faster and faster. Then I woke up. Test 15
Questions. Choose the correct variant of the question.
Bill was at home last night. He cleaned his clothes. First he put them in the washer. Next he added soap. Later he placed the clothes in the dryer. Then he folded them. Bill was very proud he did it himself.
1. A) Did Bill at home last night?
B) Did Bill was at home last night?
C) Did Bill be at home last night?
D) Was Bill at home last night?
2. A) Who did be at home last night?
B) Who was at home last night?
C) Who did at home last night?
D) Who did was at home last night?
3. A) When did Bill at home?
B) When did Bill was at home?
C) When was Bill at home?
D) When did Bill be at home?
4. A) Who cleaned clothes last night?
B) Who did cleaned clothes last night?
C) Who was cleaned clothes last night?
D) Who did clean clothes last night?
5. A) When Bill cleaned his clothes?
B) When did Bill cleaned his clothes?
C) When was Bill cleaned his clothes?
D) When did Bill clean his clothes?
6. A) What he did first?
B) What was he do first?
C) What was he did first?
D) What did he do first?
7. A) Where he put them?
B) Where was he put them?
C) Where he was put them?
D) Where did he put them?
8. A) Why he placed them in the dryer?
B) Why did he place them in the dryer?
C) Why was he placed them in the dryer?
D) Why did he placed them in the dryer?
9. A) Was he folded them after that?
B) Did he folded them after that?
C) Did he fold them after that?
D) Was he fold them after that?
10. A) Was Bill proud?
B) Did Bill was proud?
C) Was Bill did proud?
D) Did Bill proud?
11. A) Why he was proud?
B) Why did he proud?
C) Why was he proud?
D) Why he proud?
Present / Past. Read the text. Fill in the blanks in the questions.
People used to get water mostly from streams, lakes and rivers. Then cities started growing. This brought many people to one place. They needed more water for their homes and factories.
Sometimes it didn't rain for a long time. Then the rivers had very little water left. People learned to save water for these dry times. They built places in which to
store water. They called these places reservoirs.
Reservoirs hold water until people in cities need it. Large pipes carry water from reservoirs to the city. People also get water from wells.
Years ago, people lifted water out of wells in buckets. It was hard work and took a long time. Now they pump the water up. The pump makes it easier for people to get water where they want it.
A) do B) does C) did D) is
E) are F) was G) —
1. Where ___ people use to get water from?
2. What ___ started growing?
3. Why ___ the rivers have very little water left?
4. What ___ people learn to do for the dry times?
5. What ___ people build to store water?
6. How long ___ reservoirs hold water?
7. What places ___ people call reservoirs?
8. What ___ reservoirs for?
9. How ___ people lift water out of wells years ago?
10. ___ you think, it ___ hard work?
11. How long ___ it take them to lift water out of wells years ago?
12. What ___ the way to get water now?
13. What ___ people do to lift water out of wells now?
14. ___ the pump make it easier to get water where they want?
Regular / irregular verbs. Which of the verbs are regular ones? Write in the correct form of each verb in the Past Simple.
R) regular verb I) irregular verb
On the 15-th of October, two men ___1___ (to try) | to get to the top of Everest. They ___2___ (to make)| their camp at the bottom of the mountain. They 3 (to feel) very well in it. It ___4___ (to be) the highest camp on the mountain. The night before the climbing, they ___5___ (to drink) tea and had supper. They 6 (to discuss) what to take with them to the top. The ___7___ (to decide) to leave their sleeping bags and tents because the equipment 8___ (to be) too heavy.
Early in the morning they 9 (to have) breakfast and _10 (to get) dressed. Then they 11 (to start) to go up the mountain. It 12 (to be) extremely difficult. The snow 13 (to be) very deep. After a long, hard fight they 14 (to reach) the top together. They 15 (to laugh), 16 (to shout) and 17 (to take) some photographs.
Then the sun 18 (to disappear) and the two men 19 (to realize) they 20 (to be) on the top of Everest and it 21 (to be) almost night. Their camp 22 (to be) too far to reach. They 23 (to go) a little way down the mountain, but there 24 (to be) no moon and it ___25 (to be) too dangerous.
They 26 (to have) to spend the night on the mountain, at about 10,000 metres, with no tents, sleeping bags or food. They 27 (to believe) it 28 (to be) possible. They 29 (to dig) a hole in the snow, and 30 (to bury) themselves. They 31 (not to sleep). It 32 (to be) -30 °C. When the light
33 (to come) at last they 34 (to begin) climbing down, and soon they 35 (to get) to their camp. They 36 (to be) happy.
Present Perfect. Fill in the blanks.
A) already B) yet C) still
1. Have you made your bed ____ ?
2. He's ____ come back from jogging, and he's a bit tired.
3. - Have they woken up ____ ? - No, they are ____ asleep.
4. I haven't had a bath ____ .
5. My brother has graduated from the university.
6. He's ____ set the table.
7. We haven't seen your best friend ____ .
8. Will you ____ love me when I'm old and grey?
9. I've ____ combed my hair. I'm dressing now.
10. He's ____ setting the table.
11. They are here. They haven’t gone.
12. She's __looking for her notebook.
13. They arewaiting for a bus. The bus hasn’t arrived .
Fill in the blanks with time words where necessary.
A) since B) for C) —
1. My parents have worked for this company ___ 1993.
2. My elder brother left school ___ three years ago.
3. We have known the Smiths ___ they moved to Bridge Street.
4. John has played in the school team ___ two years.
5. Mr. Dave was Jane's teacher ___ last year.
6. The team hasn't lost matches ___ several years.
7. Tom has been ill ___ a week.
8. They have had a new car__ January.
9. I slept well __ last night.
10. We've known each other __. a long time.
11. They lived in Australia ___ one year.
12. I haven't seen him ___ last night.
13. I played the guitar ___ three years.
14. It's been ages ___ my last meal, and I'm very hungry.
15. That theatre was closed many years ago.
Choose the correct word suitable for each sentence.
1.I have been late for school.
A)ever B)never C) yet D) as
2. Have you forgotten a friend's birthday?
A) ever B) never C)yet D) as
3.Have they watered the plants ?
A) ever B) never C) yet D) just
4.I've not peeled the potatoes .
A)ever B)as C) yet D) always
5.Have you finished your lunch?
- No, I'm ___ eating it.
A) always B) still C)yet D) recently
6. He's been to Paris ___ .
A)once B) never C) yet D) ever
7. I haven't had bad dreams .
A) already B) several times
C) yet D) so far
8. Have you had a holiday ?
just B) this year
C)ever D) for a long time
9.Has he driven a car ?
A) just now B) before
C) ever D) for a long time
10.I haven't eaten any fruit .
just now B) today
C) never D) yesterday
Present Perfect / Past Simple. Use either the Present Perfect or Past Simple in the following sentences.
A) Past Simple B) Present Perfect
1. George went to the cinema, but he____ (not to enjoy) the film much.
2. ____ you ever ____ (to have) any serious illness?
3. I (to come) to school without glasses. I can't
read the text.
4. Who ____ (to eat) all the apples?
5. So far we ____ (to have) no troubles.
6. Jane ____ (to move) to a new flat a month ago.
7. We ____ (to wonder) where he gets his money.
8. Do you know that they ___ (to be born) on the same day?
9.How often ____ you ____ (to fall) in love?
10. I'm delighted to tell you that you ____ (to pass) your
11.I ____ (to use) to swim every day when I was young.
12. Some people think that "The twelfth night"____ (not to be written) by Shakespeare.
13. I ____ (to break, already ) two plates. Shall I go on washing up?
14. I'm not sure we (to meet) before.
15. You ____ (to be, always) my closest friend.
16. When ____ you ____ (to go) to Brazil?
17. It's two months since I ____ (to start) driving my car.
18. This is the first time I ____ (to eat) so many hamburgers.
19. My father ____ (to work) for that company for 5 years. Than he gave it up.
20. I ____ (to use) to be afraid of dogs.
21. Susan ____ (to use) to sit in her room and play the piano for hours.
Present Perfect / Perfect Continuous. Use either the Present Perfect Simple or Continuous in the following sentences.
A) Present Perfect (have / has done)
B) Present Perfect Continuous (have / has been doing)
1. I ____ (to try) to open this box for the last forty minutes but in vain.
2. It ____ (to snow): the garden is covered with snow.
3. Who ____ (to break) the window?
4. You ____ (to smoke)! I can smell tobacco on your clothes.
5. It's the best book I ____ ( ever to read).
6.I ____ (to listen) to you for the past half an hour, but I can't understand what you are speaking about.
7.How long your aunt ____ (to be ill)?
8.The school ____ (to be closed) for two months.
9.Hey! Somebody ____ (to drink) my coffee! My cup was full.
10.I don't think I ____ (ever to see) her looking so upset before.
11. I ____ (to sit) here in the park for an hour, and I ____ (to meet) three friends of mine.
12. How much money have you ____ (to save) for the holidays?
13.I____ (to wait for) you since two o'clock.. I have something urgent to tell you.
14. She ( to take) guitar lessons this year. She is very patient and hard-working.
15. Last season our team didn't win many games, but this season we ____ (to lose) only one so far.
Past Continuous / Past Perfect / Past Perfect Continuous Test 23
When (suddenly). Match the sentence on the left and the sentence on the right and make a new one linking with when.
1. Jane was walking home A) he fell off the ladder.
2. John was painting a picture B) she cut her finger.
3. Mr. Drill was driving to the airport C) their ball broke a window.
4. She was chopping potatoes D) the teacher entered the room.
5. Dan was climbing a tree E) a branch broke.
6. We were having a picnic F) he spilled the paint.
7. Jill was sleeping G) the wind blew her hat off.
8. The children were playing football H) his car broke down.
9. He was painting the I) the telephone woke her up.
10. The students were talking J) it started raining.
Past Continuous / Past Simple. Put the verbs into the correct form, Past Continuous or Past Simple.
A) Past Continuous B) Past Simple
1. ____ you ____ (to wait) for me at 5 p.m.? - Yes, I .
2. They ____ (to finish) their work at 11 o'clock and came home.
3. It ____ (to grow) dark, so we ____ (to decide) to return.
4. While Jack ____ (to sit) biting his nails, we ____ (to work) out a plan to cover up our traces.
5. A young man ____ (to run) out into the street. He ____ (to carry) a strange poster.
6. What ____ you ____ (to do) when I ____ (to phone) you yesterday?
7. John ____ (to listen) to the radio when the batteries ____ (to run) out.
8. The robbers ____ (to steal) the car and ____(to drive) away.
9. She ____ (to go) to buy a dress, but a thief____ (to steal) all her money.
10.She ____ (to slip), ____ (to fall) over and ____
(to break) her ankle. - The Royal Carriage ____ (to come) round the comer.
Gerund / infinitive (2). Put the verb in brackets into the correct form, gerund or infinitive.
A) to + verb B) verb + -ing
1. I'm thinking of (go) to Brazil.
2. You cannot live without (do) such stupid things.
3. He isn't good at (drive) his car.
4. Try to avoid (lose) your temper.
5. He seems (know) everything about it.
6. It's no use (cry) over spilt milk.
7. Would you mind (repeat) your threat?
8. You should practise (say), "Red little lorry, yellow little lorry."
9. It's useless (argue) with him. He won't listen to any reason.
10. They were advised (take) a packed lunch.
11. Do you think it's worth (see) this film?
12. If you want (lose) weight, try (eat) less.
13. It's forbidden (smoke) here.
14. I'm not keen on (work) late.
15. I'm not very fond of (shop).
16. He managed (calm) her by promising to return soon.
17. Mary is crazy about (take) photographs.
18. In Arabia the usual way of (travel) is by camel.
19. You needed (add) some more sugar to that.
Tense mixture. Decide which answer A), B), C) or D) best fits each space.
The Grasshopper and the Ant
A grasshopper spent the summer singing and dancing in the sun. One day he saw an ant hurrying by. She 1 and hot.
"Why __ you 2 on such a lovely day?" asked the grasshopper.
"I'm 3 food for the winter," the ant said and went on her way. She 4 all the other ants carrying food to their store. The grasshopper sang another song and carried on dancing.
When winter came and there 5 on the ground, the grasshopper 6 to eat. He 7 so he went and asked the ants 8 him some food.
"We worked all summer 9 our food. What
10 you do?" said one of the ants.
"I 11 singing and dancing," replied the grasshopper.
"Well, if you 12 all summer and do no work," said the ant, "then you must starve in the winter."
MORAL: Always 13 for difficult times in the future.
1. A) looked tiring B) looking tired C) looked tired D) looks tired
2. A) do ... work B) do ... working C) are ... working D)is ... working
3. A) collect B) collecting C) collected D) collects
4. A) was joined C) joins B) was joining D)joined
5. A) was snow C) were snowed B) was snowed D) were snow
6. A) had no nothing B) didn’t have nothing
C) had nothing D) didn’t had anything
7. A) was hungried B) was hungry
C) wasn't hungry D) hungried
8. A) to give B) give
C)to gave D) gave
9. A) to collect B) collect
C) collected D) to collected
10. A) was B) were
C) do D) did
11.A) was busy B) were busy
C) wasn't busy D) weren’t busy
12.A) sing and dance B) sang and danced
C) were singing and dancing D) sings and dances
13. A)prepare B) prepares
C) prepared D) preparing
Tense mixture. Decide which answer A, B, C or D best fits each space.
Once, when I was a young man, I 1 in India. One evening, after 2 in the forest all day, I was returning alone to the place where I 3 my tent. It 4
dark, and I was 5 along a narrow path. On my right was a wide river; on my left, a thick, dark forest. Suddenly I 6 two green eyes 7 at me from among the trees. A man-eating tiger 8 ready to jump on me.
What 9 I do? 10 I jump into the river and 11 my life by swimming? I looked to the right. In the river 12 an immense crocodile 13 welcome me with its mouth wide open.
I 14 that I shut my eyes. I heard branches 15 the tiger jumped. What do you think had happened? The tiger 16 right over me and was now in the jaws of the crocodile. 17 a true story, believe it or not.
1. A) was travelling B) was traveled
C) traveling D) were travelled
A)hunt B) hunting
C) hunted D) some hunting
A) had put on B) had put up
C) had put off D) had put in
A) was get B) was got
C) was getting D) getting
A) walked B) walking
C) walk D) was walking
A) have seen B) had seen
C) saw D) was seeing
A)look B) looked
C)looking D) had looked
A) was get to B) was getting
C) got to D) was getting to
A)can B) can have
C) could D) could have
10. A) Shall be B) Shall
C) Should be D) Should
A) hope save B) shall hope to save
C) hoped save D) hope to save
A) there was B) there were
C) it was D) it were
A) waiting B) waiting to
C) waiting for D) waited for
14. A) was so frightened B) was so frightening
C) was as frightened
A) moving as B) moving
C) move D) moved as
A) has jumped B) had jumped
C) was jumped D) was jumping
A) That is B) That was
C) That's been D) That had been
Tense mixture. Decide which answer A, B, C or D best fits each space.
_1__ Boxtel who 2 the government about the letters in Van Baerle's house. Through his telescope he had seen Cornelious De Witte 3 the letters to his brother. He thought that these 4 secret letters about matters of government.
"Oh!" he said, "I 5 the officers of the government about this. As soon as he 6 away I shall go into his house and 7 the bulbs of the Black tulip and get the hundred thousand guilders."
Boxtel saw the soldiers 8 Van Baerle away.
Evening came, and the servants 9 the house. Night came; stars 10 in the sky, and from far below came the restless noise of the city. The sounds of the city died away into silence.
Then Boxtel took a lamp. He 11 quickly __ the wall. He forced open a window and went into the house. He .went up the stairs into the seed room. He 12 the box, on the table - everywhere; but there 13 bulbs. He looked again. No! The bulbs had gone. Where __ they 14 ?
A) It were B) It was
C) There was D) There were
A) was told B) has told
C) had told D) had been told
A) give B) gives
C) was given D) had been given
A) may B) might
C) may be D) might be
A)say B) will say
C) tell D) will tell
A) will taken B) will be taken
C) is taken D) is found
A) find B) was leading
C) is find D) leads
A) would lead B) were shut up
C) lead D) had shut up
A) shut up B) had been
C) shutting up D) were
A) has been B) had been
C) was D) were
11. A) climbed in B) climbed over
C) climbed through D) climbed under
A)looked in B) looked for
C) looked out D) looked up
A) was no B) was not
C) were no D) were not
A) have ... gone B) were…gone
C) had ... gone D) had …been gone
Mixture. Decide which answer A, B, C or D best fits each space.
There 1 about 9,000 different kinds of birds 2 the world. We can 3 birds in many ways. One way 4 birds is by whether they live on land 5 water. Another way is by the part of the world 6 live in. Some birds live in tropical or hot places, 7 in cold places. Birds can also 8 by what they eat. There 9 types of birds, and many ways to tell 10 apart.
Different birds 11 different foods. Sparrows and many small birds eat seeds. Tropical birds eat fruit 12 seeds. Swallows and chickadees are examples of birds 13 insects. Many 14 eat both seeds and insects and feed 15 to their babies. King-fishes are birds that 16 . They have long sharp bills which they use when catching fish. 17 even eat other birds.
A) is B) are
C) was D) were
A) on B) has told
C)in D) had been told
A) not group B) to group
C) grouping D) group
A) to group B) group
C) grouping D) to grouping
A)and B) or
C) either D) under
A) we B) it
C) you D) anothers
A)others B) group
C) another D) grouped
A) be group B) are much
C) be grouped D) are not any
A) are many B) are much
C) is lots of D) are not any
A)they B) their
C) its D) them
11. A) eats B) eat
C) are eating D) eating
12.A) as well as B) no
C) either D) not a
13.A) which eats B) that eat
C) who eats D) eat
A) grown birds B) grew birds
C) growing bird D) grown bird
A) these B) that
C) this D) their
A) eat fishes B) eat fish
C) eating fish D) eating fishes
A) Some birds B) Any birds
C) No birds D) Not a bird
Identify errors in the underlined parts of the sentences. There is only one error in each sentence. Find it.
He thinks she is beautiful, but I don't agree with her.
A B C
I advise you check all your exam answers before you hand your paper in.
A B C
I'd like knowing where you are.
A B C
The light didn't work because anyonehad taken the bulb.