Прочитайте, запомните следующие слова и словосочетания
To get rid of
In order to
Для того, чтобы
Прочитайте и переведите текст
Its common knowledge (общеизвестно) that youth is the best time of your life that being young means (означает) romance, love, new discoveries (открытия) and so on. But it is also the most difficult time because you have to make (принимать) some very important (важный) decisions (решения), which will influence (влиять) all your future life. Things are not easy nowadays even for adults (взрослые), but for teenagers who have to find their own (свой) place in society (общество), they are even more difficult.
There is also a problem among young people that has become (становиться) very urgent (острый) nowadays. It's a problem of taking drugs (наркотики).
Nevertheless there are many ways of keeping away (воздержаться) from it. It is very difficult to be young nowadays, as, indeed, it always was. But you can be young only once, and some wonderful things can happen only when you're young. So, it is better to enjoy your youth while it lasts.
Обсудите текст, используя вопросы
1. What does it mean (означать) to be young?
2. Why is youth a very difficult time?
3. What is the most urgent problem among young people that can spoil (испортить) the whole (целый) life?
4. Why is it important (важно) to enjoy your life and make right decisions (решения)?
4. Переведите предложения на русский язык
Drugs and alcohol is an awful evil and stuff.
The consequences of alcohol and drug addiction are very serious.
Young people think that it is not dangerous to try drugs.
But in order to get rid of drug and alcohol addiction you should make great efforts (прилагать усилия).
The issue of drug addiction is a common problem of teenagers.
An addict is not able (способный) to realize the influence and consequences of drugs on his life.
It is almost impossible to get rid of such stuff as drug addiction.
Parents must organize their children’s free time in order to avoid (избегать) drug addiction.
5. Вставьте пропущенное слово в предложение
Influences, consequences, stuff, addiction, get rid of, in order to, free time
Doctors consider (считать) that smoking is ……
You should…………………….. smoking.
It ………………….…. your brain and health.
……………………..get rid of it you should read a popular book
Smoking is …………..… like (как) drug using.
Most people don’t know about serious ………………………. of smoking.
It is very important to organize…………………...….. in order to be healthy.
2. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Present Continuous, Past Continuous
1. My brother (to ride) a horse._________________________________________ 2. They (to work). ___________________________________________________
3. Tom (take) a photograph of me wnen I (not/look).________________________
4. The doctor and her patient (to talk). ___________________________________ 4. We (to cook) dinner. My mother (to make) a salad. _______________________ 5. A young man (to drive) a car. He (to listen) music. _______________________ 6. My grandfather (to read) a book.______________________________________ 7. The cat (to sleep) on the floor. ________________________________________ 8. You (to have) a break? _____________________________________________ 9. She (to sing).______________________________________________________
He (not/play) football from 6 till 7 last week.____________________________
3. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в одном из следующих времен: Present, Past, Future Simple; Present, Past, Future Continuous
1. Look at these children: they (to skate) very well.__________________________
2. You (to skate) last Sunday? — Yes, we (to skate) the whole day last Sunday. We (to skate) again next Sunday.__________________________________________
3. My brother can skate very well. He (to skate) every Sunday.________________
4. What you (to do) now? — I (to wash) the dishes._________________________
5. What you (to do) at three o'clock yesterday? — I (to have) dinner.___________
6. You (to have) dinner now?_________________________________________
7. Where your brother (to work)? — He (to work) at an institute._______________
8. Your grandmother (to sleep) when you (to come) home yesterday?___________
9. What your brother (to do) tomorrow?__________________________________
10. I (not to go) to the shop yesterday. I (to go) to the shop tomorrow._______
11. Last year Russian explorers (to conduct) a wide program of research in Antarctica. Aircraft (to take part) in this research work.________________________
12. Our research institute (to work) on this problem during the past two years._____
13. He (to test) a new machine when they entered the laboratory. _______________
14. As it (to rain) in the morning yesterday we did not go to the country._________
15. We (to wait) for you at the library at five tomorrow.______________________
16. My friend (to work) on his thesis from 1988 to 1991.______________________
Тест для самоконтроля
1. Where are the children? It’s quiet at home. - They (lie) on the carpet and (draw).
lie, are drawing
are lieing, drawing
are lying, drawing
2. When I arrived, Tom (lie) on the sofa and (speak) over the phone.
1. lied, spoke
2. was liing, speaking
3. was lying, was speaking
3. Listen! Somebody (sing) a lovely song.
4. Why you (put on) the coat? It’s sunny today.
are you putting on
do you put on
are you puting on
5. This time tomorrow they (sit) in the train on their way to Chicago.
1. will sit
2. will be sitting
3. are sitting
6. Don’t make so much noise. I (try) to work.
7. Why you (cry)? Is anything wrong?
do you cry
are you crying
have you crying
8. I (listen) to you attentively.
9. What time Nick and Rosa (come) for dinner tonight?
is Nick and Rosa coming
do Nick and Rosa come
are Nick and Rosa coming
10. I (work) for my exam on Philosophy all day tomorrow.
1. have been working
3. will be working
11. Let’s meet at the station at 5 o’clock. - OK. I (wait) for you there.
1. ’ll wait
2. will be waiting
12. I’m sure you (make) the right choice.
will be made
13. Take your umbrella. It (rain) cats and dogs.
14. The police caught Dan when he (rob) a shop.
1. has robbed
2. was robbing
15. He (sleep) when you come back tonight.
1. will be sleeping
2. would be sleeping
Шкала оценки результатов
Тема 3. Какие у тебя права? Конвенция ООН о правах ребенка
What Rights Do You Have?
The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
1. Назовите положительные и отрицательные стороны подростков, воспользуйтесь высказываниями
1. All children of the world have got a wonderful law , which supports us.
2. We are happy because we've got our healthy family and we must take care of it.
3. Youth is the best period of life, because we can get knowledge.
We've got enough time to entertain ourself.
But when we go out we fell pressure and bad influence of our society, we can't defend ourselves sometimes and get into troubles.
Many of us have got problems with grown-ups and parents, they don't want to understand us.
Many teens have personal problems and nobody wants to help them.
Many of us have got a diploma, but we can't get our work.
Living with Stress - is bad for us.
1. 2. 3.
Yough - What is it?
8. 7. 6.
2. Какие у тебя права?
Прочитайте и переведите текст
All children have the right to non-discrimination. (Article 2)
Children have the right to life. (Article 6)
All children have the right to name and nationality at birth (при рождении), (Article 7)
Children have the right to express their views. (Article 12)
Children have the right to meet other people. (Article 15)
Children have the right to privacy. (Article 16)
Children have the right to information. (Article 17)
Children have the right to protection. (Articles 19; 32)
Disabled children have the right to take a full and active part in everyday life. (Article 23)
Children have the right to health and health care. (Article 24)
Children have the right to education and development. (Articles 28; 29)
Children have the right to leisure. (Article 31)
3.Заполните таблицу 1. 2. 3.
The right to
8. 7. 6.
4. Употребите верное по смыслу слово в предложении
1. All children must get a ……..…… when they are born.
2. The Government should ……………………………… children from cruelty.
3. Different kinds of secondary schools must be …………………… for children.
4. Children with ………………… must be helped to be as independent as possible.
5. The Government must give children good medical care and try ……………..… the number of deaths in childhood.
Тема 4. Правительственные возрастные ограничения.
Что запрещает и разрешает закон?
Governmental Age Restrictions.
What Does The Law forbid and resolve?
Прочитайте и переведите текст
The British Government joined the UN Convention on the Rights of Child in 1991 and worked out some documents with age limits for some activities for British children.
You can buy a pet without your parents' consent (permission).
You can get a job. But the law allows you to work only two hours a day on school days.
You can enter a bar, but you can only buy soft drinks, (non-alcoholic). The law forbids you to buy or drink alcohol. The law makes you fully responsible for your criminal actions. Boys (not girls) can be sent to a special prison (тюрьма) for young people. Boys and girls can get their ears pierced (проколоть) without their parents' consent.
You can see a category-15 film at the cinema. You can buy a category-15 video.
You can leave school. But you are entitled (have the right) to receive fulltime education until you are 19.
The law permits you to work full-time, if you have left school. You can leave home without your parents' consent. You can apply for (ask for) your own passport. Boys can join the army. You can buy cigarettes. The law allows a young person to smoke at any age, but if you are under 16 and caught by the police, they can seize (take by law) your cigarettes. You can buy beer or wine. But you are allowed to drink it only in the restaurant or pub. You can buy liqueur chocolate. You can buy fireworks. You can sell scrap (waste, unwanted) metal. You have to pay full ticket on trains and on buses and the tube in London. You can marry if your parents permit you to do it.
You can get a license to drive a car and ride a motorbike. Girls can join the army. You can buy any firearm (guns, pistols) or ammunition.
You are an adult. You do not need your parents' permission for anything. You can get married, vote, borrow money from a bank and drink alcohol.
Заполните сравнительную таблицу
Join the army
Drive a car
Get own passport
Buy and drink alcohol
Употребите верное по смыслу слово в предложении
1. You can buy a pet without your ….. consent (permission).
2. You can get a job. But …… allows you to work only two hours a day on
3. . Boys (not girls) can be sent to a ……..for young people.
4. . You can get a .…..to drive a car and ride a motorbike.
1. You can buy beer or wine. But you are allowed to drink it only in the
restaurant or pub.
1. At sixteen
2. At fifteen
3. At seventeen
4. At eighteen
2. You are an adult. You do not need your parents' permission for anything.
You can get married, vote, borrow money from a bank and drink alcohol.
3. You can get a job. But the law allows you to work only two hours a day on
4. You can enter a bar, but you can only buy soft drinks, (non-alcoholic). The
law forbids you to buy or drink alcohol.
5. You can get a license to drive a car and ride a motorbike.
Girls can join the army.
Шкала оценки результатов
Раздел 5. Культурные и национальные традиции, краеведение, обычаи и праздники
Тема 1. Средства передвижения
Means of Communication
1. Прочитайте и запомните следующие слова и словосочетания
Верхом на лошади
2. Прочитайте и переведите текст
Means of communication in England
People use various means of communication to get from one place to another. In the old days people had to travel several days, weeks and months to get to the place they needed. They either went on foot, by coaches driven by horses or on horseback or by boats and ships. Then trains, trams, cars, buses, airplanes, underground and other means appeared.
Many people like to travel by air as it is the fastest way of traveling. A lot of people like to travel by train because they can look at passing villages, forests, fields through windows. Some people like to travel by car. There they can go as slowly or as fast as they like. They can stop when and where they want. People who live in a big cities use various means.
Do you know what means of communication Londoners use? They use the underground railway. They call it the “tube”. London’s tube is the oldest in the world. It was opened in 1863. Londoners use buses. The first bus rout was opened in London in 1904. Today there are hundred of routs there. The interesting thing that is that some of the routs are the same are many years ago. London’s buses are the double-decked buses.
Londoners don’t use trams, though London was the first city where trams appeared. And now it is one of the biggest cities in the world where there are no trams.
Londoners use also cars, trains, ships or airplanes.
3. Ответьте на вопросы
1. How do you like to travel?
2. What means of communication do we use when we travel by air?
3. What means of communication do we use when we travel by water?
4. What means of communication do we use when we travel by road?
5. What is the fastest way of communication?
6. What is the slowest way of communication?
7. What means of communication can people use only in towns?
8. What means of communication can people use only in the country?
9. What means of communication can people use everywhere?
Тема 2. Неличные формы глагола: причастие 1, 2
The Participle I, II
Образуйте причастие 1 и 2 от следующих глаголов, переведите их на русский язык
to stop______________, to live______________, to submit______________,
to publish______________, to equip______________, to open______________, to refer______________, to close______________, to follow______________,
to hope______________, to answer______________, to ship______________,
to play______________, to cope______________, to compel______________,
to study______________, to cancel______________, to order______________, to die______________, to permit______________, to lie______________,
to travel______________, to admit______________, to tie______________,
to control______________, to expel______________, to deny______________.
2. Выберите верный вариант
1. At our University there are several subjects (studied, studying) optionally.
2. Students (taking, taken) exams next week should come to the dean’s office.
3. The engineer (represented, representing) this factory is a good specialist.
4. Scientists (applied, applying) new methods will obtain interesting results.
5. (Having graduated, graduating) from the Institute, he began to work at an office.
6. The problems (discussing, discussed) at the conference are of great importance for future research.
7. Students (studying, studied) foreign languages should read special literature
in the original.
8. Specialists (training, trained) at our University work in various fields of the
9. (Having written, writing) the letter, she posted it.
10. (Building, having built) a new house they used all modern methods of construction.
3. Переделайте предложения по образцу
Образец: The equipment which was installed at the plant is quite new.
The equipment installed at the plant is quite new.
1. The experiment which was made in the laboratory is very important.
2. The students who were examined last week got good marks.
3. All elements consist of tiny particles which are called atoms.
4. Specialists who are trained at higher schools work in various fields of the national economy.
Тест для самоконтроля
Выберите верный вариант
1. Do you know the woman _________ to Tom?
A) talked b) talking c) having talked
2. _________ her work, she went home.
A) finished b) finishing c) having finished
3. The road _________ the two villages is very narrow.
A) joined b) joining c) having joined
4. Most of the goods _________ in this factory are exported.
A) made b) making c) having made
5. _________ nearly all our money, we couldn’t stay in a hotel.
A) spent b) spending c) having spent
6. I was woken up by a bell _________.
A) rung b) ringing c) having rung
7. There were some children _________ in the river.
A) swum b) swimming c) having swum
8. A lot of people _________ to the party cannot come.
A) invited b) inviting c) having invited
9. _________ our tickets, we went into the theatre.
A) bought b) buying c) having bought
10. Everybody looked at the _________ girl.
A) danced b) dancing c) having danced
11. The window _________ in the storm last night has now been repaired.
A) broken b) breaking c) having broken
12. I saw a woman _________ in the corner on her own.
A) stood b) standing c) having stood
13. She was lying in the middle of the road, _________ for help.
A) cried b) crying c) having cried
14. _________ our meal, we went out.
A) Finished b) Finishing c) Having finished
15. He just sits around all day, _________ nothing.
A) done b)doing c) having done
16. Books _________ from the library must be returned in two weeks.
A) borrowed b) borrowing c) having borrowed
17. Not _________ what to do, she burst out crying.
A) known b) knowing c) having known
18. _________ hungry, I decided to make myself a sandwich.
A) felt b) feeling c) having felt
19. _________ dinner, they continued their journey.
A) had b) having c) having had
20. Emma was sitting in an armchair _________ a book.
A) read b) reading c) having read Шкала оценки результатов
Тема 3. Мой родной город
My Native Town
1. Прочитайте и переведите текст
I was born in a small town where my granny lived. The history of Kartalinsky edge is unique and traces the roots back to an extreme antiquity. The modern town Kartaly is a large transport knot. The territory of the Kartalinsky area is about 4737 square kilometers, there are 48 settlements and the population is approximately 51,4 thousand inhabitants. Kartaly is a town of railway workers. You could not find other town in our area where the railway transport would have such weight and influence.
Located in a forest-steppe zone the Kartalinsky area is one of the most developed agricultural region of the Chelyabinsk region. It is the territory where wheat is cultivated and the meat and dairy animal husbandry is produced.
In our town there are many monuments. There is an eternal flame on Slava Street. This monument is delivered to the lost soldiers of the Great Patriotic War. On Lenin Street there are two monuments to V.I.Lenin and to the Engine. The engine was put in honor of railway workers. Near the engine there is a fountain where our citizens have a rest in free time.
As well as in any city we have a stadium, a park of Culture and a museum. In the museum there are a lot of minerals of the Chelyabinsk region, pictures, animal and other exhibits.
Kartaly is a town of contrasts where the past is tightly connected with the present. I am really glad that I am its citizen.
2. Найдите и подчеркните в тексте выражения:
История края уникальна, современный город, крупный транспортный узел, население, железнодорожный транспорт, вес и влияние, расположенный в лесостепной зоне, возделывается пшеница и культивируется мясомолочное животноводство, вечный огонь, памятник, в честь, паровоз, стадион.
3. Восстановите по памяти (на русском языке), в каком контексте упоминаются следующие слова и словосочетания:
the most developed agricultural region, railway transport, soldiers, a fountain, exhibits, the roots, a town of contrasts.
4. Ответьте на вопросы:
a) Do you have mountains at your region?
b) Do you have rivers at your region?
c) Does your region have any lakes?
d) Does your region have forests?
5. Опишите регион в котором вы живете, воспользуйтесь словами, которые вы нашли в тексте, а также данным примером:
“We live in the Caucasus. It is a beautiful mountain region. You can see a lot of mountain rivers here. The mountains on the seaside are covered with rich forests.”
Chelyabinsk is situated in one of the most picturesque parts of Russia – in the Urals. The ancient Urals aren’t very high, but they are famous for their unique beauty.
The history of Chelyabinsk goes back to the 18th century. It was founded on the 13th of September 1736 by Colonel Tevkelev as a small fortress on the right bank of the Miass river in the place of a small Bashkir village which name it took. In the 19th century Chelyabinsk was a small provincial town. According to the census of 1897 the population of Chelyabinsk was only 19 831 people. It was a God-forsaken place with dirty streets and shabby wooden houses.
In 1897 the Trans-Siberian railway was built through Chelyabinsk giving the town an impulse for its further development as a merchant town on the crossroads of the trade ways from Europe to Asia. The speedy growth of Chelyabinsk began in the 30s when major industrial enterprises began to be built here. In the grim years of the Great Patriotic War Chelyabinsk fumed into a mighty armory of the front.
Modern Chelyabinsk has changed beyond recognition. Now it is a great industrial city and an important cultural centre. Its seven large districts house more than a million inhabitants. The production of about a hundred plants and factories is well known in this country and abroad. On the other hand the city’s heavy industry creates scores of ecological problems that the city-dwellers come across practically every day.
The centre of the city is a quiet residential area. A few trolley-bus stops and you find yourself in Gagarin Park. Not every city can boast of a rich pine forest within a couple kilometers of the central square. The shopping area stretches along Lenin Avenue, Kirov Street and nearby blocks. At every turn you can find dozens of small shops with a variety of goods.
Chelyabinsk has old theatrical traditions. Its Drama Theatre, its original building catches your eye at Revolution Square, Chamber Theatre, Student’s theatre Mannequin, Puppet Theatre are known far outside the city. Chelyabinsk has a splendid Organ Hall with one of the best instruments in the country, an Opera House and a Concert Hall. If you are interested in art you can visit various exhibitions of local and world-famous artists.
The city is growing daily. Modern high-rise apartment houses are built every year, churches and historical places are restored. Chelyabinsk is comparatively young and open to further progress.
живописная часть, древний, уникальная красота, согласно переписи, богом забытое место, грязные улицы, ветхие деревянные домики, Транссибирская железная дорога, импульс к дальнейшему развитию, на перекрестке торговых путей из Европы в Азию, промышленные предприятия, суровые годы Великой Отечественной Войны, мощный арсенал, тяжелая промышленность, создает множество экологических проблем, тихий жилой район, густой сосновый лес, Органный Зал, Камерный Театр, Драматический Театр, Театр Оперы и Балета, Кукольный Театр, высотные здания, сравнительно молодой.
3. Соедините слова из первой колонки со словами из второй, чтобы получилось словосочетание. Переведите полученные словосочетания на русский язык:
4. Заполните пропуски и пронумеруйте предложения так, чтобы они
The speedy…………of Chelyabinsk began in the 30s when major…………………. began to be built here.
The ………..Urals aren’t very high but they are famous for their ……………..beauty.
Modern………………..apartment houses are built every year.
According to ……. Of 1897 the population of Chelyabinsk was only 19 831 people.
On the other……....the city’s heavy…………creates scores of………….problems.
In the 19th century Chelyabinsk was a small…town with …….streets and……houses.
Modern Chelyabinsk has changed beyond…………………………..
Тема 5. История основания Москвы
The History Of The Basis Of Moscow
Прочитайте, запомните следующие слова и словосочетания
Ivan the Terrible
Peter the Great
2. Прочитайте и переведите текст
Moscow is the capital of Russia, its political, economic, commercial and cultural centre. It was founded 8 centuries ago by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky. Historians consider the year of 1147 as the start of Moscow’s history. It was nothing but as small fortress.
Gradually the city became more and more powerful. Moscow grew into a real city which became the centre of a principality.
In the 13th century Moscow was the centre of the struggle of Russian lands for the liberation from the tartar yoke. In the 16th century under Ivan the Terrible Moscow became the capital of the new united state. Though Peter the Great moved the capital to St Petersburg in 1712, Moscow remained the heart of Russia. That is why it became the main target of Napoleon’s attack. Tree-quarters of the city was destroyed by fire during Napoleon’s occupation, but in the mid-19th century was completely restored.
In the early 20th century, the Moscow proletariat played a major part in the First Russian Revolution of 1905-1907 years. The general political strike started by Moscow workers in October 1905 developed into a nation-wide one. Numerous names in the city reflect the events of those days. Among them are Krasnaya Presnya, the district of Moscow, where there was bitter fighting in December 1905, Ulitsa 1905 Goda (Year 1905 Street), Barricadnaya Ulitsa (Barricade Street).
After the October revolution Moscow became the capital again.
Now Moscow is one of the largest cities in Europe. Its total area is about nine hundred square kilometers (ancient Moscow occupied the territory of the present-day Kremlin).
The development of the city was sporadic at times, particularly in the early days.
That is why we can often see buildings of different periods and styles which sometimes even seem incomparable - from Baroque to Constructivism - standing side by side. And this is exactly what creates the unique character of the city and gives it a particular fascination.
3. Закончите словосочетания
4. Соедините английские слова с их русскими эквивалентами
Тема 6. Неличные формы глагола: инфинитив
Выберите требуемую форму инфинитива
1. Indefinite Infinitive Active
1 to be reading
2 to read
3 to have read
4 to be read
5 to have been reading
6 to have been read
2. Indefinite Infinitive Passive
1 to have repaired
2 to have been repaired
3 to repaire
4 to be repaired
5 to be repairing
6 to have been repairing
3. Continuous Infinitive Active
1 to sell
2 to have been sold
3 to be sold
4 to be selling
5 to have sold
6 to have been selling
4. Perfect Infinitive Active
1 to be watched
2 to be watching
3 to watch
4 to have watched
5 to have been watched
6 to have been watching
5. Perfect Infinitive Passive
1 to have played
2 to be playing
3 to have been playing
4 to have been played
5 to play
6 to be played
6. Perfect Continuous Infinitive Active
1 to be working
2 to have been worked
3 to be worked
4 to work
5 to have worked
6 to have been working
2. Употребите, где необходимо, частицу to перед инфинитивом. Переведите предложения на русский язык
1. I think you ought …... apologise.
2. Can you help me …... move this table?
3. Make him …... speak louder.
4. I must ... see him now. It’s urgent.
5. It can’t ... be done now.
6. She asked me ... read the letter carefully and ... write an answer.
7. The man told me not ... walk on the grass.
8. Let me ... help you with your work.
9. She ought ... take care of her health.
10. We had better ... stop to rest a little.
11. I don’t know what ... do.
12. He was seen ... leave the house.
13. We saw the ship ... sail off.
14. I can’t ... go there now, I have ... do my homework.
15. You must make him ... practise playing the piano at least two hours a day.
3. Выберите эквивалент русского предложения из предложенных вариантов, учитывая временные и залоговые формы инфинитива
1 Макс хочет обучать вас испанскому языку.
a) Max wants to teach you Spanish.
б) Max wants to be taught Spanish.
2 Ребенок любит, чтобы ему читали.
a) The child likes to read.
б) The child likes to be read to.
3 Я хочу, чтобы меня проинформировали о ее приезде.
a) I want to be informed of her arrival.
б) I want to inform him of her arrival.
4 Грейс рада, что ее пригласили на вечер.
a) Grace is happy to have invited us to the party.
б) Grace is happy to have been invited to the party.
5 Мне не нравится, когда Вы меня беспокоите.
a) I don’t like to be disturbed by you.
б) I don’t like to disturb you.
6 Я сделал вид, что читаю газету.
a) I pretended to be reading the newspaper.
б) I pretended to have read the newspaper.
Шкала оценки результатов